The modern audience perceives visual content much more effectively than a text message. Animation is not only cartoons, movies, or games. It is also a type of content in business that is used to create presentations, viral videos, advertisements, etc.
What is 2D Animation?
2D animation is a way of creating a dynamic image that has only two dimensions: height and width. Frame rate in 2D animation can exceed 16 pictures per second. The short animation is popular in various areas – marketing, education, science, entertainment. With it, you can develop social projects, visualize any idea, attract a potential client. Over a hundred years of development have made animation one of the most popular forms of communication.
Animation in 2D refers to the classic way of creating animated films and advertisements. The following types are widely used in practice:
Hand-drawn 2D animation is also referred to as traditional. This is the very first way to create a dynamic image. At the heart of the process is the work of an animator who draws every frame. The illusion of movement appears with sequential “gluing” of frames.
To create professional animation, it is best to turn to a 2d animation company that knows all the subtleties and necessary tools.
Main steps of creation
The basic principles of creating 2D animation have hardly changed since the beginning of the 19th century. Artists draw a set of “flat” pictures in two dimensions. Each next picture is slightly different from the previous one. Due to the quick change of pictures in the frame, it seems to the viewer that the image comes to life. This is enough to make the movement of objects and characters seem quite smooth and realistic.
- The creation of 2D animation begins with the collection and analysis of the initial information, on the basis of which the idea is formed. After the script is being written.
- Character design development. It begins with a sketch drawn by the artist, which is later refined and simplified. The artist comes up with the appearance of the characters, their emotions, and even the sounds they make.
- Creation of a storyboard, preliminary visualization of the video. It allows animators to understand how the final video should look like (angle, appearance, the behavior of characters, etc.).
- The storyboard is used to create the keyframes for the movie. After they are drawn, work begins on the creation of intermediate frames (phasing). At the same time, backgrounds are drawn.
- After the production of 2D animation is completed, what remains is the voice acting and the addition of sound effects.
To effectively create an animation according to all the canons and avoid mistakes, it is better to contact a custom game development company. They cover all playgrounds and develop excellent products.
2D Animation Hints
The character must look alive
Make sure that the character does not have freezes when creating 2d animation and looks like a whole, and not as if it consists of separate parts. Even if this is the simplest animation, don’t be lazy. For example, in the process of breathing, you can’t just draw a picture of the movement of the chest. Watch for the constant movement of the character, even when he is just immobilized. We advise you to give the character liveliness by blinking, facial emotions, smiling, sighing, or moving your hands. All this will give it naturalness and liveliness.
Don’t misuse extra expressions
Animation artists are too flirtatious with periods of additional expressions, which most harm the animation. You shouldn’t do that. 2D animation should not be overloaded and the number of additional phrases should be reduced. If you need to make the movement more catchy and spectacular, use other techniques. Otherwise, you risk losing the expressiveness and clarity of movement.
Don’t obsess over elements
Artists get addicted to creating animation and overdo it with attention to the details of a character or drawing, and the animation fades into the background.
2D animation will always be relevant, each unevenness adds liveliness to the characters and is more pleasant to perceive than 3D. To draw 2D animation, you need a lot of experience and observation. Of course, you need to know the stages of creating animation and be a professional in your field.