Valve, the video game and software company, has announced the first handheld video game console that’ll allow users to play Steam games on the go.
Valve today announced the Steam S handheld gaming console. It is the first Steam Machine to be based on Valve’s latest Steam Machine technology, which was revealed at the Consumer Electronics Show in January. Valve is launching the Steam S at a price of $400, which is $100 less than the base cost of the Steam Link console and controller combo, which we announced at CES. The Steam S will be available starting in December 2021.
Well, we all thought that we’d get a Steam Machine at some point in the future, but we didn’t expect it to be released anytime soon. This new device is called the Valve Steam Deck and it’s kind of a handheld console and kind of an Android gaming device. Some people are worried about the lack of a controller, but I’m not. I’m okay with that as I think a controller is a great addition. And it’s got me thinking, what else could I use the Steam Deck for?
Home » Latest News » Valve has announced the Steam Deck, a $400 handheld console. The film will be released in December 2021.
The Steam Deck is the first of a new line of portable PC gaming devices introduced by Valve. Steam Deck costs $399, with additional storage choices costing $529 and $649. Reservations will commence on July 16th, 2021 at 10 a.m. PDT, with delivery beginning in December 2021.
The Steam Deck is an all-in-one portable PC with a lot of power. Steam Deck is similar to a gaming laptop with the capacity to run the newest AAA titles thanks to a special CPU built in collaboration with AMD. You’ll be able to play games from your Steam library anywhere and anytime you want. The Steam Deck is also an open PC, allowing you to run any program and connect to any devices.
Watch the trailer for the Steam Deck announcement:
Valve GamePlay Trailer – Steam Deck
Details about the Steam Deck:
- AMD built a powerful, proprietary APU.
- Designed specifically for handheld gaming
- Controls that are large enough to use
- 7-inch touch screen
- WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity are available.
- For accessories, there’s a USB-C port.
- For storage extension, there is a microSD slot.
- There are three distinct storage choices available.
- At a later date, a Dock that enables you to play Steam Deck games on your TV will be released; Separately available
Watch an interview with the Steam Deck’s designers, which includes a hands-on demonstration:
First Look at Valve’s Handheld Gaming PC, Steam Deck
Valve founder Gabe Newell says, “We believe Steam Deck offers consumers another option to enjoy the games they love on a high-performance device at a fantastic price.” “As a player, this is something I’ve always wished for. It’s also the mobile device I’ve always wanted for our partners as a game developer.”
Gabe Newell, President of Valve, talks on the significance of the Steam Deck’s pricing and development:
Gabe Newell: Hitting Steam Deck Price Was “Painful” but “Critical” Gabe Newell: Hitting Steam Deck Price Was “Painful” but “Critical”
Specifications of the Steam Deck:
- AMD Zen 2 processor
- 4-core/8-thread core count
- 2.4–3.5GHz CPU clock speed
- AMD RDNA 2 GPU
- Compute Units on the GPU: 8
- 1–1.6GHz GPU clock speed
- 16GB LPDDR5 @ 5,500MT/s quad-channel 32-bit RAM
- 64GB eMMC / 256GB NVMe SSD / 512GB NVMe SSD storage
- 7-inch touchscreen LCD display
- 1280 x 800 pixel resolution
- 60Hz refresh rate
- Audio features include dual speakers, a 3.5mm port, twin microphones, and USB Type-C/Bluetooth connectivity.
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB Type-C with DisplayPort 1.4 compatibility are all supported.
- 40Whr battery
- 11.7 x 4.6 x 1.8 inches (298 x 117 x 49mm)
- 1.47 pound (about) (669 grams)
- Price: $399 for 64GB, $529 for 256GB, and $649 for 512GB (512GB)
Valve seems to be vying for a slice of the Nintendo Switch pie by launching a rival and making their whole Steam catalog portable.
Do you want to get your hands on Valve’s Steam Deck?
Submitted by: He’d been a gamer since he was eight years old, when he received a Nintendo with Super Mario Bros. for his birthday. Find out more about him and follow him on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.
- More information may be found at
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- handheld gaming pc
- hand held game system
- handheld gaming laptop
- handheld windows pc
- what’s the best handheld gaming device?